Here is the list of Kirkby’s Gym Rules that we ask members and visitors to follow, to ensure that everyone gets the best and safest experience from Kirkby’s Gym.
Access and Parking
- To enter the gym you need your card and you can’t lend it to anyone else as it belongs to you (you’ll need to swipe in on every visit), on your first visit we’ll also need to take your picture for security reasons. Your first membership card is free, but keep this card safe, a fee will apply if you need a replacement. Alternatively you can swipe in with your digital barcode using the Kirkby’s Gym app.
- A membership card is only for the use of the member to whom it was issued. Any misuse may result in termination of membership and / or a ban from the gym.
- If we need to change the gym’s opening hours for any reason, we’ll aim to give you as much notice as possible.
- Members and visitors may not bring any pets (other than guide dogs) into the gym.
- As much as you’d like to, you can’t live in the club so please be ready to leave by closing time.
- To ensure our gym is fit for use, we might need to close it – or certain areas – from time to time, thanks in advance for your patience.
- Usage, including entry and exit, is monitored by CCTV 24/7.
Inductions, Proper Use of the Facility and Classes
- All members are offered an induction to receive instruction on the use of the gym equipment. If you’ve never used a gym before, we strongly advise you to undertake this. This is compulsory if you are under 18.
- Induction bookings can be made via telephone on 01462 290 666, or by email at [email protected]
- Do not use the facilities in a way that may cause harm to yourself or another member. If you are unfamiliar with a piece of equipment, you must seek advice from a Kirkby’s Gym staff member before use. We’re here to help!
- You’re welcome to join a class once it’s started but the instructor might ask you to warm up first.
- We’re not able to look after anything for you in the gym and can’t offer you a tab, but you can add funds to your account, and use your account balance to pay for items, if this is more convenient. We do not have a minimum spend on card / contactless payments.
- Please replace weights and don’t drop them as it i) is a safety hazard ii) damages the kit iii) disturbs other members. We ask you to respect the facilities so everyone can enjoy them. Unfortunately, you will be liable to pay for any negligent or deliberate damage to property. Abuse of this rule will result in membership termination.
- If you use chalk during your workout, you must clean up after yourself, leaving the facility as clean as you found it.
- Weights must be put in their proper place when finished. Bars must be stripped with plates re-racked.
- Members and visitors must not misuse or damage any equipment, other members’ property, or the Kirkby’s Gym premises.
- In the interest of everyone’s cleanliness and hygiene, please wipe down equipment after use.
- In accordance with the 2010 equality act, any conduct or speech that might be considered racist, sexist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory will not be tolerated. If you experience or witness any form of discrimination or abuse please report it to a member of the team.
- Please consider others when using your mobile phone and keep calls to a minimum.
- If you’re using a smartphone, tablet or other device in the club or as part of your workout it’s your responsibility to keep it safe and secure, we encourage you to keep it on you rather than the equipment.
Personal Belongings and Lockers
- In the changing rooms, please close lockers after use, put all rubbish in the bins and wipe the sink after shaving.
- Lockers are solely to be used for the duration of an individual training session. Lockers will be emptied at night and any contents will be donated to charity after one week if it remains unclaimed. Padlocks may be cut off and will not be replaced by Kirkby’s Gym.
- Lockers in the shower area are for use when showering only. Any contents in occupied lockers whilst not showering will be emptied and contents will be donated to charity after one week if it remains unclaimed. Padlocks may be cut off and will not be replaced by Kirkby’s Gym.
- For safety reasons, bags are not permitted on the gym floor. Members must secure their personal belongings with a padlock in the lockers provided by us whilst using the club’s facilities. Personal belongings are left at the member’s own risk.
- Members are solely responsible for their own belongings whilst visiting Kirkby’s Gym. We accept no responsibility for any loss or damage to personal property. Although we will always endeavour to return any articles of lost property to the owner, we do not take responsibility for any item held in lost property. Such items will be kept until claimed, but for no longer than one week after which time the items will either be donated to charity or destroyed.
- Suitable workout attire must be worn when exercising i.e. appropriate exercise clothing and appropriate footwear. Jeans, boots, flip-flops, sandals or bare feet are not permitted. Tops (no bare chests please), bottoms, and trainers are required at all times. Any member not wearing suitable attire may be asked to leave the gym.
- Members must maintain basic personal hygiene standards. We may ask you to leave the gym if poor hygeine is affecting other customers.
- Members and visitors must not behave in an aggressive, abusive, anti-social or threatening manner to any staff, member, or guest. Kirkby’s Gym reserves the right to contact the Police and pursue further action if necessary. Basically, please be nice!
- Only Kirkby’s Gym self-employed licensed personal trainers are permitted to train members in Kirkby’s Gym. Anyone else providing personal training services on Kirkby’s Gym premises will be asked to leave the gym immediately.
- Do not use the gym whilst under the influence of any substance which may affect your ability to exercise safely, including but not limited to, alcohol, narcotics, tranquilisers or any medication, substance, etc. Kirkby’s Gym staff may have you removed from the premises if they believe you are unable to safely use the facilities.
- Smoking, including e-cigarettes and vaping, are strictly prohibited in all areas of Kirkby’s Gym facilities.
- Criminal activity of any kind on Kirkby’s Gym premises will not be tolerated.
- The use and/or sale of any substance or drug, including steroids, is not permitted.
- Sleeping in Kirkby’s Gym is not permitted.
- Appropriate behaviour is required at all times so as not to jeopardise your safety or the safety of others. If in our reasonable opinion, a member’s continued membership is likely to be injurious to the character and interests of any particular club, we reserve the right to terminate that membership.
- Members must inform Kirkby’s Gym of any change of address, email address or telephone number. These changes can be made in the member login section on the Kirkby’s Gym website.
- By joining Kirkby’s Gym or purchasing a day pass, members agree that they have read and understood the terms and conditions of membership.
- Verbal or written instructions by Kirkby’s Gym staff or representatives must be respected and obeyed at all times.
Failure to abide by these rules may result in cancellation of your membership. We hope it wouldn’t come to that, but we do reserve the right to terminate membership with no notice period or refund if the rules are not followed.